by Bailey Caldwell on October 15, 2021
Halloween is the one day a year that you can transform into someone (or something) you’ve never been before. In 2021, Americans are getting creative with their costumes—prepare to see a few doctors, blockbuster movie characters, and even mythical animals roaming the streets.
For the fourth year in a row, the team at All Home Connections found the most popular Halloween costume in each state. This year, witches and dinosaurs rule the nation, with a combined 22 states either looking to cast a spell or return to their Jurassic roots.
Whether you’ll attend an outdoor bash or stream the newest scary movie on your couch, here’s a look at the biggest costume trends of the year, so you can decide if you’ll join the crowd or try something new.
Referencing Google’s top Halloween costume list from 2020 and other trending costumes, All Home Connections analyzed current Google Trends data to create a projection of 2021’s most popular costumes per state.
- Nearly a third of states (14 total) are searching for witches this year, so if you see a lot of Sabrina Spellmans or the Charmed sisters walking around, you’re probably not the only one.
- This year we had a larger variety of costumes than in 2020, with 20 completely different costumes searched across the nation compared to last year’s 12.
- Last year, costumes with face-coverings prevailed—Spiderman was the most popular in 8 states in our 2020 report.
- Proving that movies released on streaming platforms still make a mark on pop culture, superhero icons like Black Widow and Wonder Woman made the map for 2021.
- 25% of the costumes we found are types of mythical creatures.
- Americans spent roughly $800,000 less on Halloween candy in 2020 than in 2019—can we expect the same change this year?
- Of the over 140 million Americans who celebrate Halloween each year, many spend over $90 a person on their costume.
For the entire list by State https://www.attsavings.com/resources/entertainment/popular-halloween-costume-in-your-state/