November 18, 2018, Jersey City, NJ – Jersey City Arts Council honors excellence and impact in the Arts with a celebration at White Eagle Hall, 337 Newark Avenue on Tuesday, November 27, 2018, from 6:30 to 9:30 pm. Tickets are $125 online; $150 at the door and includes open bar and scrumptious food, provided by Midnight Market. Purchase tickets online at www.jerseycityartscouncil.org/
The Jersey City Arts Council’s first ever awards gala will bring together the arts community to celebrate 11 amazing honorees and recognize their leadership, advocacy, philanthropy, and long-term contributions to Jersey City.
Mayor Steven M. Fulop will start the evening off with the announcement of the name of the new Jersey City Poet Laureate.
· Leadership: Mana Contemporary-A visionary and ambitious cultural center in Jersey City.
· Legacy: Charles Kessler-Founder of Jersey City Artists’ Studio Tour and co-founder of Cathedral Arts Festival and Pro Arts.
· Medici: SILVERMAN-Direct funder of numerous arts organizations.
JCAC COMMITTEE AWARDS
· Architecture & Design: URBY-Thoughtful design is in every part of this building.
· Arts Education: Willie Thomas-Art Specialist at P.S. 15, teaching students from Kindergarten through Eighth Grade.
· Film & TV: Jenna Laurenzo-Director of Lez Bomb which won the jury award for best narrative film at the 2018 Geena Davis’ Bentonville Film Festival.
· Literary Arts: Matt Taibbi-Award-winning journalist, author, and columnist for Rolling Stone magazine.
· Performing Arts: Thinking In Full Color-Performing arts group that empowers women of color through theatrical and educational programming.
· Public Art: Norm Kirby- Visual artist beautifying chain link fences in Jersey City and the founder of Six Columns Gallery.
· Visual Arts: LITM – A superior exhibition space with a visual arts program that’s a step above.
· Young Artist: David Acosta – An incredible young performer who writes meaningful messages through his music and also organized the 2018 Arts on the Hudson Festival.
* For more information on the honorees please see attached one sheet.
The Jersey City Arts Council is an inclusive and diverse, community-focused 501(c)(3) organization, established to protect, strengthen, and promote the Arts in Jersey City. Donations are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.